Hazard Resource Page - Severe Weather
Due to its location on the Monterey Bay, the campus is subject to coastal storms and other weather systems, particularly during the winter. The Santa Cruz area receives, on average, over 30 inches of rain each year as well as occasional high wind events.
Current Radar Map and Forecast Information
Winter Weather Preparedness
- Santa Cruz County sandbag distribution locations
- California Emergency Management Agency - Be Winter Wise
Electrical Power Information
Campus electrical power is provided by both Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) and the on-campus Cogeneration Plant operated by Physical Plant. PG&E power outages can lead to on-campus power outages.
Road conditions can change frequently during the course of a storm event. Santa Cruz County's topography and vegetation can lead to road closures due to downed trees, downed powerlines, mud/rock slides and other hazardous conditions. During storm activity, please be sure to monitor road conditions along your travel routes. The following webpages contain
- Santa Cruz County Public Works road closures
- California Highway Patrol traffic incident information
- This page may contain more current information than the CalTrans sites below and has statewide information. Use the drop down box at the top left to select the area of interest ("Monterey" for Santa Cruz area).
- CalTrans Road Information website (for road conditions statewide)
- CalTrans District 5 website (includes Santa Cruz & Monterey Counties)
- CalTrans District 4 website (other Bay Area Counties)
- CalTrans Local Office website (for links to other CalTrans District websites)